Grooming with a disablity

 Hey all, so I was at the local op shop for some Christmas presents and I realized something when they had an influencer section in the shop, and this I have known for a long time but haven’t really acknowledged, basically that it is that grooming and presenting yourself well doesn’t have to be expensive, so I wanted to go through a few things that you can do to look presentable and I have also considered mobility aid hear as well, the first one seems really basic but a lot of people don’t know how to care for there clothing, so this is the first thing know how to clean your clothing and how to iron as I do find that having an ironed t shirt and jeans I feel so much more presentable.  Also learning how to get stains out is really important and how to keep whites white is important I know how to Dad does have some basic tips as well as asking your grandmother and I know that some universities have teamed up with Red Frogs and CWA to teach these skills, but you can also find some great blogs and youtubers who have the tricks as well.

I find if the clothes are clean and have no stains you can really get a longer life out of fast fashion and I am going to say don’t discount it if you on a budget as it seems to be a thing that we are looked down on for fast fashion but if you do look after it really does last longer.

The second one is to know what is in your wardrobe as it seems to be that some people don’t know how they can mix and match their clothing or how to use their accessories to their advantage.  Good sources of inspiration can be found on pint Rest and I see that for mobility aid users Jessica Kellgrad Frozard, Footless Job, and Molly Burk have great tips and tricks for dressing using a wheelchair, a prosthetic , or if you have issues with sight.

I also see that don’t discount the local op shop as I know my local op shop does do some really cool pieces and is quite sustainable one toys op shop goes back into the local community into his kitchen that provides dinners and helps to the local community facing food insecurity.

I now want to focus on considerations for dressing as this can at times be tough to manage so we need to accept do we need help to get dressed and consider dexterity with doing up, buttons, zips, and  Velcro. But if you have help to get dressed these are all things that you could consider.

Also, I need to point out that having the basics to shower or bathe doesn’t have to be expensive and someone did point out to me that if you have sensory issues, with toothpaste then by the kid's stuff as long as your looking after your oral hygiene people aren’t going to judge you for it, they might judge you for bad breath though.

So there are a couple of places where you can buy toiletries and if you have sensitivities please check for band deals if you need to do soap-free or use specific products. But if you don’t then places like the Reject shop have good deals on shampoo and conditioner and other products as well as checking out Kmart’s products as often the basics can be a bit cheaper there as well.

It’s not hard to be well presented it just takes a bit of effort and organization to be able to work towards it and sometimes it's asking for help is the biggest thing as admitting that you can’t do it by yourself is the first step and this is where I would encourage people to seek out if you have a care scheme in your area as this is where a support worker can help.

I would love people to put their tips and tricks below about how they keep well presented with a disability.

 

[i]

 

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support