Why I can't learn to love my disablity

 

Why I can’t learn to love my disability

My Disability is a part of me yet I can’t learn to love it, but I can learn to accept it. To accept that I will always be different. Be the person who will never have a normal life and whose family will get frustrated with me, because I used to be able to do so many things for myself, but now I can’t and will need support for the rest of my life.

I can’t love it because of the way my life has played out, I can’t be an inspiration because it does hold me back in ways that frustrate me and my family as we always thought I could live a normal life, but I am coming to the realization I can’t and that this will impact me and everyone in my life.

I never used to admit I have a disability and this in the long run hasn’t done me any favors.  I am what they call high functioning but high functioning doesn’t mean normal – it means that I appear to be able to do most thing’s for myself – but in reality, I can’t.

High-functioning Definition & Meaning | Dictionary.com

I have good days and then I have really bad days – mostly the good out way the bad, yet some days I really can’t function in a normal way, I forget things like forgetting to eat, to send an important email to go to my appointments or even talk to my family.

Me being high functioning doesn’t only affect my life it affects my families life’s as well, I am one of many Australians living with Aging parents while waiting for funding for appropriate housing and I do worry about my future.

But I want to continue the discussion around disability as I have been seeing online a robust discussion about high vs. low functioning especially when it comes to hidden disabilities, that aren’t obvious at the time.

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support