Disablity and Ablism.

 So after the findings of the disability royal commission, we see that people are discovering what it means to be disabled in Australia and what the words we are throwing around mean and I discovered in cleaning up my blog and hard drive that I had this video on ablism, and it’s different for every person when they discover that they are disabled or start to identity with that labeled more and more as I realize that I have a TBI and have accepted it but I have only in the past  4 to 5 years accepted that a TBI is a disable and affects my life and the lives of the people around me as well.

But what is ableism, it’s basically when people dismiss or invalidate a disability in assuming that most people can do things for themselves, and most people with a disability might have workarounds but some might need a lot of support to do very basic tasks. It heard much more about accessibility, so having places that are accessible is much more than a ramp to get in it’s  ooking at having sign lalanguagentermates. It's looking at having mobility aid access, so not discriminating against a person because of their disability but it still happens and it really doy me that people are more aware of not offending people with there pronouns wtheirt’s actually a much more serious issue with ablism and how even support workers can be ablest at times.

I haven’t for a very long time encountered a support worker that is ablest some need a bit of training but it’s easily done that they get the training they need, and some acanhelp me to a degree that I never though pothought, in taking me shopping for products that I thought due to the embarrassment of having to by them instore that it would be better to by them online.

I have been able to have frank conversations around navigating relationships with people and how to not offend them  or how to ay thanks. I am also very aware that I am privileged as well as I am seeing that people in homes that are built with disability in mind are being sold off and that we don’t have real chose and cochoice about who we live with. I am blessed to have a great bunch of house mateshousematese an amazing team, But I know that some people aren’t as lucky and I will be talking about some ablest comments in much more depth but some comments are.

You don’t look disabled, disability isn’t a look and you can’t identify people with hidden disability

But why do you need that accommodation it’s not fair, yes it is it leveling the playing field for people with disabilities

I wish I didn’t have to work, I wish I could work going,, and am actively looking for work.

This is just the tip of the iceberg so I am going to do a much more in-depth post on the topic as well.

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support