Disability and the skills based approach the hidden gems

Hey, guys so this video was something that came out of a heated discussion with family and close friends as I might have offended them with my What is a disability video that I cross-posted to Facebook and this is one of the major downsides to having ADHD, the impulsivity doesn’t really go away it just gets easier to manage.

But we are talking about how vulnerable people with disabilities are we forget to talk about their strengths and what they have overcome. I know that some people don’t like us talking about it but the people who actively put content on the internet and are running blogs, Tic tocs, podcasts, and YouTube accounts well they have lots of skills, and being disabled is just one part of them.

So they might have skills that people without disabilities might not understand that they do have that could be of benefit to a boss, to a company, or to a volunteer organization. But what do we define as skills, we need to be able to define them before we go into the deep dive of what they are,  I will put some links down below to be able to tease out what they are, but generally we do have soft skills so generally these are learned through living with others that generally aren’t your family, So it could be interpersonal skills so working out what you are watching on TV, resolving issues in a house such as who drank the last of the milk you know the ones that we are talking about, as these are the ones that I struggle with as well, due to having a Brain Injury and ADHD as well, and currently I am fighting a relapse in my internet and Tech addiction, but it is difficult when I live with chronic pain due to peripheral neuropathy,  ( basically I  can feel my nerves sending signals to my hands and feet. I do manage it by dieting exercising and pacing myself but this is something that I didn’t realize was a skill until someone mentioned it due to it being something I just did. But this is another skill that people with disabilities do have in spades being able to navigate and be super flexible around others' needs.

This can become if it’s not managed, hypervigilant as people with what we politely call psychosocial disabilities often are taught to mask and women and girls are often missed and miss getting treatment as they are just seen as the daydreamers and the person who is flaky in life so mostly it’s when they seek out a diagnosis for their children it becomes apparent they have the same of a similar condition and some people who have ASD describe it as being on the wrong planet. This makes sense as there is so much we do as humans that is counterintuitive in the name of being “polite” or social conventions.

But having skills is something that we all develop and can with practice often become good at so we need to be aware that the skills-based approach is something we need to get used to as well. In the video I do talk about doing an honest skills assessment when you are going for your plan of other care-based assessments as well, but being honest with yourself or the person you are doing it with needs to be done with sensitivity and care as well but being honest about you skills so you can “ level them up” is good as well.

But this is something that I am going to talk more about as I go back to the basics of disability care as we are seeing a lot of discussion around who can speak for us and who can talk about the issues and we live in a world that is seeing such rapid change it’s hard to keep up with all the issues when actors and celebrities are finding it hard to keep up you know that the average person is going to find it harder as well.  But I have put some links down below to help with finding the right care program and what skills are defined as for a person in general don’t discount the internet as a source of information it’s just knowing what is a good and a bad source of information. 

So I am hoping to get back to doing shorts soon when my family has calmed down a bit more.

Forums | Asperger's & Autism Community - Wrong Planet

cafis_1h_-_strengths-based_approaches.pdf (dss.gov.au)

Guide_to_developing_assessment_tools.pdf (asqa.gov.au)

Soft skills - Wikipedia

ADDitude - ADD & ADHD Symptom Tests, Signs, Treatment, Support (additudemag.com)

Types of disability evidence | NDIS

 

   

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support