you a not a burden

This is a post that I wrote in my head last night as I am in the middle of potentially changing supported living houses but staying with the same company and I can’t remember something heartbreaking. I can’t remember the last time someone physically said they love me, or I am doing good or congratulated me for doing something well, as my family often has concern for me, and I don’t see that my actions have consequences for other people.

But please don’t feel sorry for me first and that my family and friends do they do it by there actions and this has lead me to some really interesting feelings of knowing I am an adult but at the same time feeling really alone in the world as I see my friendship group that are “ able bodied” go to work and have the arguments about the kids and I really feel like I have missed that boat on having a stable romantic relationship due to me not being able to really trust anyone and that actually includes myself and my support team in the house as they have a lot of subtle power and don’t get me wrong they are amazing but deciding what time I get my tablets to prevent seizures rather than coming down and seeing that I have taken them and this is for them a very complex issue due to the fact that they are looking after two clients and since moving into this house I have felt more alone than when I was living with my parents it is due to the subtle attitude of support workers favouring my house mate over me and using “ my right to privacy” as cover when I see that there is times that it’s much better to have my safety first  and we actually talk about my needs but due to the behaviours of my house mate I am feeling like I am getting the scraps of care and I know that this isn’t correct and I know it is my delusional thinking.

The same with my family I know they love me Mum dropped off a bag for me to pack for a holiday, as my other one was too small,  making sure that I have some level of community engagement as I don’t fit into the day centre environment but I can’t say that I am not jealous when they head off in the bus and I hear them going on there activities as well. I am waiting on extra funding and I know that I choose to say home and record and that nothing is stopping me from having people on the channel but I do forget about this fact as well.

 

However it got me thinking about relationships with disabilities again and how we seem to have one of three extremes, the person who is cared for by family and its practical support like my family and team do, like ensuring I have clean clothes, food in the fridge and stuff to do, then we have people where the family trust the support team or then we have that the support team doubles as family and family isn’t involved. 

So this also going back to the family goes into the disconnect with love languages as well, so there are many articles written on love languages and I need to hear that I am doing OK as well and I see that I have a different path but it leads me to the question as we are seeing that this generation that is reaching the workforce now can’t afford to date and isn’t able to afford to start families so they are lonely. [i]

 

Also, we see that there is another thing that isn’t talked about, having families with a disability. We see that this is actively discouraged in some facilities due to having to protect other's privacy and this I see is starting to change but we need to have a balance, to be able to have respect both ways and I know in the past that I haven’t been respectful support staff and family but this is the thing if I can’t have bad days in where I live where can I have the bad day I have nowhere other than my parents place.   But what if they decide to sell as everything in a disability facility has to be documented and people need to “check in with me” due to past behaviour and personality clashes with support workers this has led to me not being able to unmask and I need to be able

This leads to the manipulative behaviours that I have talked about in the past so let’s continue the conversations around disability and relationships and the need to be safe around support staff and the extreme balancing act they need to have to be able to support others and to be able to understand them as well, to be able to call out manipulative behaviour’s and to see that behaviours is a form of communication and that this is where some support staff need support in dealing and changing this behaviour from clients to be able to help them archive there goals without restricting them a bit to much as well. So, I will be doing a post and video on behaviour of concern. 

When I went to post this it reminded me of this very early video and I do apologise for the horrendous,  sound in the background let's thank god that I have wanted to edit the sound as well.  It does show how far I have come but I still feel like a child in an adult body because I haven't "hit" the milestones that are considered "normal" by society and this is a blog post that I am going to go into around disability and infantilization of disability and the lack of accountability that is leading to people to not understand how the "real" world works. 

 

 

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support