Things that we are most likely forgetting to clean.

 

 So last night I watched the Netflix documentary Poisoned and I think I need to start out by saying something really important. I am located in Australia and we don’t have the food production monopolies and lobbyists that the USA does but it got me thinking on another random tangent, that is cleaning, don’t get me wrong we need to be on top of where our food comes from and I am going to start making major changes in my life around my diet and start making some documentation around it as I know diet is a major player in having auto immune diseases go into essential remission, before having to go onto very heavy medications that are used in cancer.

But I as I do went down an adjacent rabbit hole and still haven’t reached the proverbial warren, that is food safety at home and adjacent to that cleaning as you can have a tidy home that is not clean and I know, as I have been that person and I admit we all get busy and we all need to work and families can’t have one person at home to just clean a rase the children if they choose to have them so it lead me to ask what is the things we forget to clean in our homes that can lead to illness as well and I was really surprised to see a lot of agreements over in rentals who is responsible for cleaning some of these but  this is my list and this isn’t in order of importance its generally things that people forget to clean or don’t have it high on the list due to their lifestyle, and I know that there are some companies that will come in and clean some of these as well.

·        The wheely bin and this can carry all sorts of pathogens and diseases, as well but when was the last time you even hosed it out.  So, at the very least hosing it out once a month and scrubbing it once a year is a great idea, I know that if it gets damaged in my area you as a resident of that address can then ask for it to be replaced.

·       I know that a lot of school aged mums are really on this one, but its really important to wash not rinse properly wash reusable water bottles and the straws as they can grow Mold in them as well so you can actually get straw cleaning kits, from amazon  https://amzn.to/45LQRR6 or the cleaning isle of the local supermarket.

·       Our washing machines I know that until I had a load of clothing come out smelling worse that when they went in this really wasn’t on my radar of things that need cleaning and it’s easy to do a drum clean and there is products that you can use to clean them as again they need to be cleaned to be hygienic and effective as well.

·       This is a big on and for people who don’t have access to a clothes line and rely on them dryers cleaning there filters is really important as well as it can present a fire risk so vacuuming them out once a month and cleaning the filter after every load is really important.

·       As well as if you have an outside line or a rotary line, cleaning it as part of laundry day is a massive thing especially as in Australia we are going into swooping season and we will be dealing with bird poop, in a massive way.

 

·       As well as the laundry sink I know that most people as part of a deep clean by cleaning there kitchen and bathroom sinks but when was the last time you cleaned the laundry sink, we soak all sorts of things in there as well, so I am going to be blunt about the pathogens that we could spread in there as well,  as depending on household makeup you could be cleaning, blood, urine, faeces, as well as the potential for vomit and general dirt and mud that depending on a persons profession could carry disseise in side as well. 

·       The other big on but I think that this is on most peoples radar at some point is towel, bed linen and do you clean or at least air your pillows.

·       The other big on that is adjacent to this one is when was the last time you vacuumed or flipped your mattress as this is in some areas a massive problem and there is  mattress protectors that you can get and if you are a care giver to a young child or a person with a disability there is also easy wash, sheets.  https://amzn.to/45LQRR6, https://amzn.to/45LQRR6

 

The big one that is adjacent to this one is a big one for families to tackle but it’s a job that if you break if down it can make the school or work rush in the morning so much easer this being cleaning the closet or other areas that you store clothes and I once a season see if things fit me and if they don’t a couple of things could happen to them, they are cut up to once off cleaning rags, in the case of underwear it is binned and in the case of good quality unripped clothes they are washed and sent to the local thrift store, ( shout out to Tonys community kitchen. Tony's Community Op Shop (tonyscommunity.com.au)

 

The other big one for people with children is a massive one and one that I know as a childless person I don’t know how hard this is to do, is decluttering and cleaning the children's toys, games and books, I remember my mother had a really great system of 3 to 4 buckets and will did this over the school holidays, we had a bucket for broken and can’t be fixed, broken but could be fixed, to donate, and one for clothing and shoes that didn’t fit us, so we then had a say in what went and what stayed but mum had the final say in what we donated and I am glad she did as I now have some toys that are collectors items.

 

However in the mindset of cleaning how long since the stuffed toys have been cleaned, I know that some can go into the washing machine, some need hand washing and I know that it’s a character-building experience to sit and wait by the washing machine to see your comfort toy be safely into the dryer or the line outside. 

 

I know that this is a massive one for the end of term but some parents choose to replace instead of washing but I know one of my family members once a week washes  the insulated lunch bags and I know that the water that they are washed in is gross as well it the last time was black and we are putting food in that so that could be a health and safety risk as well, but not the plastic or bento boxes that go into them, either, I know that they are washed daily as well.

 

As we are back into the kitchen we need to ask ourselves as well collect more “time saving gadgets,” how long since you have washed the dish washer, as they  can become a health hazard if they aren’t washed regularly as well.

 

To me the next one is intuitive but for some we need to teach them, is how long since the fridge has been cleaned and not cleaned out but the fridge it’s self cleaned, I know that I am slack on this but I wash the fridge mats once a week and the support staff in the house clean the fridges once a month.

 

I am not trying to shame anyone as I know that we do have people who go to far and end up sick due to being to clean and there is some documented evidence that we are harming children by being to clean but this is more around, not letting them play in the mud and with other children that might have a runny nose and to build up a healthy immune system. I know that there is some great blogs that go into a great cleaning and organization routine as well, so when to check dates on packaging, and how to organize a pantry as well to  eliminate  food wastage as well, and for those who are crunchy adjacent, we need to be aware that there is cleaning products that don’t contribute of a chemical load and toxins into  the local environment.  Such as washing liquids, washing up detergent and cleaning brushes made of wood and sponges made of wool,  I have put some Amazon links into this article, and please

be aware that I do get a commission if you buy from these links.

 

https://amzn.to/45vXgQv

https://amzn.to/45i2IX7

 

 

 

  

 

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support