disability and emotions that I wish support workers knew.

Disability and emotions and I see that this is going to be a challenging conversation that we need to have to be able to get to the bottom of things as the system as we know it has become to complicated with power going to the providers and not the clients commonly called the participants and this is a major issue that needs to be addressed due to the fact that many clients including myself have been emotionally harmed by rules and regulations that are put into place because of an incident that relates to something else and we see that this is a massive issue and we see that this ties into the systemic undertraining of support workers, we see that this can really harm some people due to the way that the rules aren’t really person-centered that they based around the medical model of disability and we see that this isn’t ok really and we see that people need to be aware of this as I have recently left a care organization due to, several factors. 

  Lack of consistent care team and a lack of respect for what I am doing and trying to achieve in my life.   This being a successful blogger and YouTube creator around disability awareness due to the fact that I never had a consistent care team, held me back as I need a considerable amount of help, to edit and to make sure I have a liner blog and to make sure that my content is readable, and I am not being to Bia’s in what I am saying and doing. I am essentially a one-person team leading to pushback or potential legal issues. If I had consistent care, I could have established a blog and YouTube presence a lot easier, and earlier. 

       Lack of compassion from the office, If I would ask or question my care team, I got talked down to a lot due to the fact that I was asking questions we see that this is a massive issue due to the fact that people were taken of my care team, and I was treated like I don’t matter.

 Lack of communication from the office  I would have to chase them and confirm that they were even coming and this is what lead me to make the decision, to move care agencies as having to chase people and to make sure that  I had care, and I was constantly explaining my needs to new people, and essentially I was getting into a car with a stranger and we see that people need to be aware of this that if I wasn’t as high functioning this could have become a safety issue, due to the fact that people didn’t know my needs and this could have become a duty of care issue if I was nonverbal, and this is something that I see as a fundamental issue.

 

·       Lack of respect from some (not all support workers)  I when talking about some things that I was planning for YouTube I was told that I was wrong and that I needed to change my views and when I asked what I was wrong about the support worker couldn’t articulate what was wrong, she just got upset that I was able to deconstruct her arguments.

 

 

·       Lack of a fundamental understanding of my disabilities and we see that this is a massive issue due to the fact that as I have been harping on about it there has been a systemic undertraining of support workers and I see that this is a problem that is going to get so much worse before it gets better and we see that people really do need to be aware of this in a way, as this undertraining is something that we need to address as it comes into the lack of respect for people with a disability and the way I have been treated I believe that it must be the tip of the iceberg and we see that people need to be aware of this to be able to support people properly. 

However, I am now in the process of organizing a much better and smaller organization to provide community access as this is something that I do need help with this will be a change but we need to be able to discuss the dark side of care as it is not going to get better without talking about it.

 

 

 

It shows that the support workers in this organization do need further training as they aren’t great at picking up when people need to be alone with their thoughts and to be able to back off. 

 

This led to me constantly being on guard with my emotions heightened and it showed a fundamental lack of respect for my wishes when I would say I needed some space or that I didn’t have money to spend and wanted to go for a drive and they would push me in other directions that had nothing to do with what I wanted to do. T

 

There was complete disrespect for me as a person and what I wanted to do.  I was at a party last night and we see that talking to professionals were saying very similar things about support workers treating clients who are adults and have an adult capacity like children and wondering why the clients were “acting out,’ and having meltdowns and we see it’s a way of communicating their anger at what they are facing as many agencies seem to have a policy of believing the support worker and not the client, and this has harmed many people.

Glen Hardwick 'looked like a zombie' when he walked into a family gathering, disability royal commission hears - ABC News

 

This is just one of the heartbreaking stories that is coming to light and it is a program that has saved my life but I have been let down by providers as they become corporate giants they forget about what they set out to do and this is improving the lives of people with a disability.  

 

This is something that we need to be aware of due to people like this as well as having to deal with the emotions that come with knowing that you would have a very different life outcome due to the fact that you are disabled and that you need help as people will judge you for needing support and this support comes with both a physical cost that is mostly covered by the NDIS, but at the same time the emotional cost and mental burden, of organizing the care, and being able to do things with a support worker as this is something that  I have seen that some support workers struggle with, when clients can help themselves and have self-direction as well.

 

 

   

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support