talking to people with a disablity about death

I am posting this the day before the official day morning and as we have seen so much coverage from death to HR Queen Elsbeth II's funeral and I wanted to revisit talking to people with intellectual disabilities about death. 

I have some kid's books about death and it is a great opportunity to talk about death in a developmentally appropriate way, and the advice is to be direct and simple, and not use euphemism's about death, like they have gone to a farm, or crossed the rainbow bridge. 

Also, I see that people can understand much more than they would admit.   

These are some really great books aimed at kids depending on their mental capacity or using videos. 


I would also suggest giving the person time to grieve if it is someone close to them that they have lost and that they are also talking about that it's permanent and that to take them to the funeral. 

I also suggest talking about appropriate ways to express their emotions and for people with a disability also to have space to grieve about other losses so the loss of a support worker or caregiver or a favorite housemate if they live in a supported independent living situation.  When they the support worker or the housemate moves on. 


Or even giving them the time and space to talk to the appropriate health professionals. 





Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support