Is there a NDIS equilivant in your part of the world.

 

In Viewing the views for my blog and planning out the content I see that I have a lot of US views and I do wonder why as I am very much entrenched in the  Australian culture and when I mention the NDIS, [i]  It seems to me that there is very little equliivant in the USA it seems to me that it’s state-based and this is the complexity of the issue is that we are talking over international lines and I understand that this can be quite confusing at times due to  The US tax system being very different at times.

I am now seeing why people who leave the US say that they didn’t realize that what makes Australia so unique is how we look after each other, which is at times reflected in government policy.


So we don’t have universal health care anymore but we do have a system called medicare where you get a rebate from going to the doctors or if you go to a state-based hospital your care is paid for by the state tax money.

You can go to a private hospital but if you don’t have health insurance you are better off going with the public system.

However, with the NDIS, it is so complex due to where you draw the line between a medical condition that can be treated and managed and a disability. So this is where things get so gray as we see that this is a complex area.

This all comes down to what is called a functional capacity assessment and this is something that we need to be aware of, this assessment is for some conditions is vital for others it’s an assessment through a mental health professional, and what needs does the person have and how do they need to be supported and what role does a support worker have in that person life.

This is all again up to the agency and we see that this is something that needs to be discussed when going into an agreement with the support worker I have found that it can take a couple of agencies to find the right fit and to have them be professional as well.

This is quite an interesting topic and I do have an early post where a person who was a retired support worker answered some questions about what it was like being a support worker under the NDIS.

As the langue has changed but the services are now a lot wider so a person can access Allied health support, this could be anything from an Occupational therapist to Mental health professional.

It all depends on what is fair and reasonable to the person and their needs, we see that this is an interesting thing about it that what is fair and reasonable for one person might not be fair and reasonable for another person and this is what makes the program so hard to navigate.

 

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support