internet safety and how I nearly got scammed



This is a video that is pain full to watch back and it is for good reason, that I thought as a content creator I wouldn't fall for scams such as this one.  As a fairly famous mid level actor reached out to me through an new account on Intergram and  as the actor has a reputation for reaching out to fans we see that I thought it was , however we see that it was easy to see looking back how easily I was duped into thinking that it was the actor that I admire. 

What set off red flags for my support team though was that it was a new IG account so it had now followers and no blue checks, it wasn't a platform that the person uses often and he is very anti social media.  As well as not responding to an email that I sent to him and then getting offended when I asked why he couldn't and his excuse was his management don't like him answering his own email's. 

We see that this is a red flag as he could easily set up a Gmail account that is his personally for fan mail, however this still has questions in my mind due to the fact that he was given some very uncomfortable presents at comic cons so I can understand that it might be management, however then the next thing was that I was asked to use google chats and this is an issue as google in Australia a lot of people don't use google chats and I see that this would be an issue that the email address could have be set up just to have access to google chats. 

I didn't give out any personal information that could be used to scam me but we see how easy scamming could happen and what to do about it and then it became a bit of an issue as I honestly thought I was talking to the actor that was "supposedly," on the end of the line but it shows that if someone of my level of function can  get duped what about those who have as part of there disabilities black and white thinking or aren't able to separate fantasy from reality.  

I did send some video content that was already up on Youtube though this was the only thing I sent and when I went to find the account it was gone again so I am thinking it was a scammer and that this is a massive scam. 

I see that I was lucky that I spoke up about it and was able to get things checked out, so please I have done a video on internet safety so it would be good to put some safety nets in place if you have people with a disablity in your life.  I am talking about people who have altered thinking in this instance not someone with a phyical disablity who can spot these things. 

Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support