My story

 What it is like living with a neurological disorder. So this is going to be a bit of a more personal post as I live with several neurological disorders, as well as physical illnesses that interact in a weird variety of ways. So we need to start with the basics, this explains very well what is a neurological disorder. Neurological disorder - Wikipedia

 In later posts, I will go into treatments in a very broad sense and how they work and their side effects and not only physical side effects but social and emotional. When someone is diagnosed with a neurological disorder their whole lives change and this includes their family and friends.


In my case (and some of it is well deserved) thinking that having a large amount of control over my day is a good thing, if I want to do something different, I have to ask, and this and other topics have created a lot of issues for me.  I live in a semi-constant state of wondering who I have pissed off due to their reactions around me. So things like people yelling at me because I didn’t listen, despite me clearly having headphones in my ears. Deciding what is good for me, and when I don’t “comply” they again get frustrated and yell at me even more without explaining why.

This then leads to how society sees neurological disorders when they aren’t as overt as other disabilities, also there has been a great push for inclusion for people with disabilities yet we have a very long way to go, as through things like social media, there has been a narrative pushed that if you just work harder, you can live a normal life.

For many people with disabilities with the right supports they can, but when these are stripped away what happens isn’t great, their families and often it is aging parents are looking after them and receive little support.

This is why I started this space and my blog as I see that things need to change and people need to stop having it pushed in their face but to have a long-term education around the topics that if we change in a disability context it will help all of us.

So having that understanding of the social, emotional, and practical impact of disability, that we would love to work, that we aren’t waiting on the government in fact many people give up fighting for the care they need due to the mental health impacts of it.  

I am seeking to further the conversations in a respectful manner as, I have had conversation after conversation around people who can speak up, needing to speak up, due to the ongoing issues around disability and being seen as lesser because we are a “burden,”  If you have disabilities yourself please remember your not a burden and you deserve the dignity of care and age-appropriate care.



Comments

My most popular posts.

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support