Disability and the internet

 So I realized I was going so deep into scrolling into my phone at night it was starting to affect my sleep hygiene and this hasn't been great at the best of times.  I didn't even realize that it had a name. It is called Revenge Bedtime Procrastination. 

Revenge Bedtime Procrastination: Definition & Psychology | Sleep Foundation

For me, it started when I had to move back to the family home and this came with a lot of issues that due to my health and disabilities we are still working through.  However talking with my care team made me realize that people with disabilities that don't work and are on benefits often have very little enjoyment and movies and the internet are the way that they interact with the world, this was even pre-pandemic. 

So for me, I have charted my failure of getting back into a good routine, as I did want to do a complete digital detox but I live in an area where Covid is still very much a risk, and being a blogger doesn't help however I have some practical steps.  Also due to the fact we haven't had much to do other than stream and internet, depending on your location. However I am seeing where it is safe to there is a change back to doing things off the line as there is something that has been exploited since the invention of the TV  and is even now used by Youtubers and actors, it is called a Parasocial bond.

Why Parasocial Relationships Are Not Necessarily A Bad Thing (bustle.com)

 Due to the emergence of Comic cons and other things like this that are great, as they get people off their phones but when the actors themselves remind people to not record it and live in the moment it seems to work as some emerging actors or actors that are severely underrated have come out and said if they didn't need to have a social media presence for promoting there work they wouldn't have it.  As it is so reactionary, however, social media isn't going away any time soon, and have come out and talked about their own experiences with social media and their real-life relationship's being harmed, and in some cases taking a massive toll on their mental health. 

 I think due to Covid we have all realized how important it is to have friends in real life as well.   I know I have as due to my disabilities I regret spending so much time on the internet instead of making friends in my life, but it is never too late to make friends. 

It has also been used to great effect with the pandemic as celebrities have reminded us of the importance of hygiene and the other restrictions that needed to happen as well as getting creative with making content to enjoy however social media like it or not isn't going away or even smartphones. So the issue is how to manage the usage.  As it's not like we can do a full digital detox and go to a cabin with friends at the moment and so much even before the pandemic of our lives was lived on the internet. 

However, if we did have good friends or family they would encourage us to get out of the house and go to the gig, festival, or even just have a game of pool at the pub depending on your age group.  It was how we kept in touch with family and friends overseas, organized fundraisers, and even some young people started to communicate with friends. 

However, I am going to chart the journey of my struggle to get off my phone and into life. 







Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support