Talking about being high functioning, in society.



So this is an interesting video and it's a topic that we need to talk about being "high functioning," with a disability doesn't mean that we aren't disabled. 

So with this in mind a lot of people with conditions that others would consider a disability we see that it might not be the case for them, they might just consider it a medical condition or a different way of being and this is ok. 

However being high functioning comes at a cost, a mental, physical, and fiscal cost and this is an issue for some of us due to not knowing where we "fit" do we "fit in at a day center. Do we fit in at a disability enterprise, where they go and work in a safe environment? 

Or are they able to work and hide the fact that they are disabled this will vary depending on the person and the country they are living in? So I hid the fact that I was disabled for many years and we see that this is an issue now that I didn't ask for the help I needed and my family did a lot of what is considered caring now. 

I have pleurisy, ADHD, and shortens syndrome and get vestibular migraines, so I take a lot of medications and can't drive so either I need to walk or someone to transport me around. Generally this in the past has been my parents or friends. Or when I received my first package of support workers. 

I present as high functioning however at times my level of functioning doesn't work well. So It can get me into a lot of trouble I am quite blessed that people in my life are generally understanding of my situation and that we can find a way out of it.  We see that people do generally understand that you can't help that you can't do some things however I find that due to the ADHD people do get frustrated with me and I get frustrated with myself over some of the decisions that I have made and this is where my need for care comes in. I am limited by what I can say but it's an interesting life at times, due to fatigue and poor decision making, So I will be doing a longer post on supported decision making. 
when I have more information on it. 





Comments

My most popular posts.

Isabelle Lightwood and Trauma part three - Shadowhunter's

Why I can't learn to love my disablity

What a support worker can do for you and what the can't part one my story with support